How to deal with healthcare burdens

 

“The doctor has just told me I have pancreases cancer. I didn’t hear anything he said after that, would you please explain to me what does this mean again.”

“Can you check for me again the diagnosis, I thought I have lung cancer but the papers mentioned something about kidney cancer and you said the drug is for kidney cancer, correct?
I thought I have only one cancer.”

A patient in his early forties sounded brilliant, full of energy and so friendly over the phone. He thought he had a cold but was told it is a late-stage cancer with a very low survival rate.

A woman in her twenties said, “I take my transplant medications every day. I almost lost my kidney functions. I don’t want to lose this kidney because my previous three transplants have already failed. “

The last clinical note read, “He was upset he needs a bone marrow transplant. He knows his chances are not high” I prepared my call, trying to be encouraging, and when I called, I was told he passed away.

How do you deal with these burdens?

This article is for pharmacists and healthcare workers. For those who are heavy-hearted from what they face in their work day. Recently I got closer to my patients; I had changed my department from an outpatient supervisor to specialty pharmacy. Now, I am interacting with more critically-ill patients. I used to care about operations, efficiency and customer service. Now my focus is personal patient care. During my first month at the specialty pharmacy, I was overwhelmed with the tragedy and the fights my patients are going through. The examples above are only a few of the burdens I was carrying.

Maybe like me you were advised to separate patient care and your emotions. To seek counseling if depressed. Over time you are expected to harden or get used to those stories. Be grateful you are healthy and not in those patients’ shoes.  

Well, as a Christian this is not enough. During my emotional struggle I learned to pray. Yes, to pray for my patients. Here is why: First of all, we are invited to cast all your care upon God, for He cares for us. We are called to be anxious for nothing, but to pray. God is asking us to let our requests be made known to Him. Praying for our patients is not only an option. We are asked to pray for them if you care about them, if their struggle is burdening your hearts.

As God’s ambassadors we are responsible for the world we live in. Daniel did not stop presenting his requests to God even when it was punishable. The same principle applies to us. We are asked to open up to our God and share with Him the things that we care about. It is a way to honor God, it is a sign of trust, faith and dependence on Him. It grieves God’s heart if we are not involving Him in things that we care about.

As Christians we believe God is good despite our cursed world. We are asked to pray that His kingdom would come on earth. To be clear we are not only praying for our own mental sanity or just as a way to relax or to give Him our burdens, we pray because we believe prayers make a difference. Prayer brings God’s kingdom. God is the Healer and the Savior; He is a good God. We are calling on Him to interfere as He sees appropriate. Given that our life here on earth is temporary, and the good things are yet to come, our ultimate focus is on the eternal. If the situation permits and you are allowed, go ahead and share the love of God with them. If you are not allowed then pray that God will find a way to gain their hearts. If they are already believers encourage them in the Lord.    

 

Since I started to pray for my patients, my career has become more meaningful. When I feel useless, I know I will tell God about that and I know He will help, maybe I will never know how but I know that my good all mighty God listened and is involved. I feel relieved with no burdens. When I pray, I start an eternal relationship with this patient. I also gain spiritual maturity as I keep my eyes on eternal things. I think as I get exposed to the patients’ tragedies and learn to pray for them, God is preparing me for when the dark clouds loom in my own life.

 

I am inviting you to join me and be a praying pharmacist. Start praying for your patients. Whenever you feel the burdens, or remember their struggle, instantly raise up a quick prayer. You don’t have to feel guilty if you don’t. Let God lead you. It is an act of love to your patients and an act of trust and worship to your God.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is faithful

This should be my life